With the excitement of fall comes the stress of finding new clothes to last the season. You want to look cute, but between your family and your job, you don’t have time to go shopping. So what are you supposed to do?
A fall capsule wardrobe is the perfect way to curate your fall fits without spending a whole day at the mall. Let’s dive into what this throwback trend is and how it can benefit you.
Table of Contents
What Is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a closet filled with classic, versatile clothing items you can mix and match to maximum outfit combinations. These pieces include bottoms, tops, dresses, shoes, outerwear, and accessories. The focus is less on temporary trendy items and more on quality staples that will last more than just one season.
You should stick to a neutral color palette that includes white, nude, gray, black, brown, and navy pieces. You can supplement them with pops of color if that’s your style. Soft blues and olive green go particularly well with neutrals. By the end of it, you’ll have a curated wardrobe that’s just your style.
Here are just a few of the benefits a fall capsule wardrobe offers.
- Versatility: When you have a solid collection of neutral items that can be dressed up for fall events or down for everyday wear, you can create various combinations without having to fill every inch of your closet. Many fall staples—like solid tees and denim jeans—can also be worn in other seasons. It’s a win-win.
- Cost Savings: You might spend more upfront on higher-quality items, but you’ll save money in the long run by investing in pieces that will last for years to come rather than trends that will be out of style come next fall.
- Simplicity: Minimalism is becoming more and more popular in today’s culture. Busy women like you especially don’t have space to spare or time to waste at the mall or shopping online. Building a fall capsule wardrobe will help you simplify your life. Spend less time deciding what to wear every morning and more time with your family.
- More Closet Space: It’s not about simply filling your closet. It’s about filling your closet with simple yet stylish pieces that go with everything. The simpler your style is, the less crowded your closet will be.
How to Plan Your Fall Capsule Wardrobe
Don’t let the thought of building a fall capsule wardrobe overwhelm you. It’s actually a lot simpler than it seems. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you curate the perfect capsule wardrobe for fall 2023.
- Purge your closet: get rid of any items you don’t wear anymore, including shoes and accessories. You can either sell them for a little extra cash or donate them to a local charity or thrift store. Be deliberate, carefully considering each piece in your closet one at a time.
- Store seasonal clothes: Gather your spring and summer clothes, and store them elsewhere for the time being so they don’t take up precious closet space.
- Make a list: Write down the staple items you already have, and fill in the gap with staple items you need to complete your fall wardrobe. That way you know exactly what you need and don’t accidentally purchase something you already own.
Ask yourself these questions when choosing items for your fall capsule wardrobe.
- What kinds of pieces do I wear most often?
- Can I see myself wearing this regularly?
- Can it be layered for fall weather?
- Will it pair well with other items in my wardrobe?
- Will it be in style a year or five years from now?
Fall Capsule Wardrobe Essentials
Here are the seven must-haves for every fall wardrobe.
Quality jeans are a building block for any fall outfit. You can wear them to run errands, go to the movies, or grab dinner with friends. You can even wear them to work if your office is more casual. Consider whether you want light, medium, or dark wash jeans, and find the style that suits you best. Some popular jeans styles are straight-leg, wide-leg, and skinny.
Trousers and Skirts
When you need something dressier than jeans but more casual than a dress, trousers and skirts are a great alternative. You can wear them to work, to a party, and when traveling. We recommend sticking to solid neutrals and versatile patterns that will go with various tops, shoes, and outerwear. We also recommend trying on trousers and skirts before buying them to make sure the material is comfortable.
Get a mix of solid tees, sweaters, and crewnecks you can layer with a cardigan, blazer, or coat. Mix it up with some short-sleeve and long-sleeve options for maximum versatility.
Dresses and Jumpsuits
Whether you’re going to a dinner party or a work event, a simple dress or jumpsuit is the perfect fit. Mix it up with different lengths, colors, and styles, and consider your layering options for those chilly fall days.
If fall weather where you live tends to be on the colder side, a short-sleeve or long-sleeve top alone won’t be enough to keep you warm. Shackets, jackets, blazers, and coats are a cute and easy way to layer up for added warmth.
Shoes are a great way to show your style. You want a combination of sneakers, boots, and loafers so you’re prepared for any occasion. Go from the office to the pumpkin patch in comfort and style.
No fall outfit is complete without the right bag to carry your essentials in. One crossbody bag with an adjustable, removable strap and one medium to large tote bag should do the trick. Stick to nude, brown, and black with these.
Tips for Styling Your Fall Capsule Wardrobe
Need help styling your fall capsule wardrobe? Consider us your personal stylist.
Here are our top tips and tricks.
- Choose pieces that can easily transition from summer and into winter
- Spend on classics and save on trends
- Choose neutral colors and patterns that are easy to mix and match
- Start with a few staples items in each category, and gradually add more
Curate Your Fall Capsule Wardrobe With Emerald XO Ivy
When you need timeless and classic staples that will always be in style, Emerald XO Ivy has you covered. Whether you’re looking for jeans, dresses, shoes, or something in between, we’ve got simple and stylish pieces to complete your fall wardrobe. Shop our fall collection today.